Salary & Details: Competitive salary based on experience. Full Time
Benefits: Share Options; Flexible Holiday policy; On-site gym
Location: Hybrid with base location in Stevenage
Report to: Head of Software
MFX is an award-winning startup developing a break-through bioprocessing platform for the cell and gene therapy (CGT) market, based on microfluidic technology. Its platform allows ultra-low costs and scale-up of CGT from discovery to commercial stages, making these very potent treatments affordable for a wider number of patients, and reducing development times by several years. MicrofluidX is currently developing a system that will allow biologists to test dozens of cell culture conditions in parallel in an automated way replacing the Petri dish, the flask, the bag, the bioreactor, and the centrifuge all at once!
CGTs are fast-growing areas of medical development. With over 700 clinical trials in progress, some treatments (e.g. Kymriah, Yescarta) have already reached the market. This technology is at a critical juncture where advances are achieving clinical realisation, yet manufacturing remains a key challenge, hindering clinical development and patient accessibility. Three critical manufacturing hurdles remain: prohibitive costs of goods, low process stability and control, and lengthy scale-up from discovery to commercial stages.
The Software Engineer will design and implement software solutions for all aspects of the products. They will assist software development within the team, ensuring best practices to medical device and GMP standards where appropriate.
The software engineer at MFX will be a key player in advancing the revolutionary bioprocessing platform for the Cell and Gene Therapy (CGT) market. This transformative technology aims to enable ultra-low-cost and scalable CGT production, expediting the journey from discovery to commercialization with unprecedented efficiency. Joining MFX presents a unique opportunity to shape the future of bioprocessing technologies, contributing to the vision of making advanced therapies more accessible and cost-effective for a broader patient base while significantly reducing development timelines.
Responsibilities and duties
- Understand technical and user requirements of the products.
- Create, debug, test, document, and deploy software for new products, including software/hardware interfaces, user interfaces, data logging and presentation.
- Work with the existing software development team.
- Follow all relevant medical device directives and EU GMP Annex 11 with regards to software.
- Keep relevant Quality Management System documentation up to date
Qualifications and Experience:
- 2+ years of experience creating software for a regulated field such as medical devices.
- 2+ years of experience in writing code in C/C++ and Python.
- Experience of software development with a strong focus on embedded systems.
- Experience of electronics, including microcontrollers.
- A software, electronics or computer sciences degree from a leading university (or equivalent).
- Experience of machine vision systems and image recognition would be beneficial.
- Experience of writing code for systems and control engineering.
- Experience with Linux distributions such as Ubuntu would be beneficial.
- Experience with real-time operating systems such as FreeRTOS would be beneficial.
- Experience of designing software that interacts with electromechanical and/or fluid systems and hardware and be able to resolve problems at the interface of these systems would be beneficial